Base Design in Castle Clash
There are many base design approaches for the Clash, but in general experienced players agree on these things:
- Getting raided a lot sucks, and you lose up to 25% of your gold and mana each time (but you don’t lose 100%, even if they wipe your base 100%). It is a fact of life, though, and if you have a weak base design, you get raided a lot in Castle Clash.
- A strong base is good for the “Here Be Monsters” (HBM) minigame, which is a GREAT way to earn shards (for buying heroes and donating to GrayThieves ha ha) and XP for your heroes. You earn about 3x the XP from a HBM round than from a raid on another player.
- Be smart about upgrading your base because the higher your might, the nastier the players who come to raid you (and also when you go raiding, those targets are stronger too).
- Base design changes as you grow in strength and add towers and walls. Pepsi shared this link to a thread at the IGG forums where they talk about the best base design for every stage, based on your town hall level. I think there’s some chest-thumping to be wary of, but still, very very useful.
- Your heroes don’t need to be alive for HBM. If they’re dead from raiding or dungeons, just fire up HBM and they’ll come to life again for defense. Nice.
Other Base Design/HBM Notes
Try staffing your base with low-level troops (guardian, hunter, pyromancer) instead of your usual troops. If you can get away with it, this will make it a lot quicker to attempt several sequential rounds of Here Be Monsters. Great trick I learned from Pepsicolla.
XP from Here Be Monsters gets split between all active heroes, even those in the towers. If you can survive with fewer heroes in the towers, great. Capped heroes (ones that don’t level up because you’re short on HBs to upgrade them) do not earn XP from HBM.
After each wave of Here Be Monsters, you randomly earn either gold, mana, or XP. If you fail, you still keep the previous waves’ earnings. You fail when the attackers destroy your base 100%.
Base Design for Here Be Monsters
Here’s Pepsicolla’s unorthodox setup, which he copied from another player. This is a smart setup because it exploits the AI’s inability to change a target once it’s been picked. Once the attacker burns past the outer ring of buildings, which are simply bait, the attacking troops pick the nearest remaining target, which is a tower. Then they charge that tower, ignoring the heroes at the center!
This design DOES put your gold vaults out on the edge, which I’m a little wary of (even if they are right by army bases). I might try a variation of this with my vaults in the middle.
2nd Base Design for Here Be Monsters
Here’s SandSeven7’s newest base design. Like Pepsi, he’s all over HBM and doesn’t care about raids anymore. Why? Listen carefully to how much XP he’s earned from this one HBM run.
3rd Base Design for Here Be Monsters
After experimenting with the Diamonds of Doom and some SandSeven7 base designs, I’m now using the Caixa modified deathbox. Again, Castle Clash base design varies greatly depending on the level of your buildings and heroes. Check the IGG base design thread mentioned in #4 above to figure out what works for you…!
Please check out our other pages:
- Castle Clash Boss Fight Strategy
- Castle Clash Bugs and Suggestions
- GrayThieves Guild Page
- Castle Clash Smurf Accounts
- Game Writer Central: A Videogame Writer/Designer Blog
And if you found this helpful PLEASE Like us using the buttons below. This is essential for keeping these pages up to date!